Fats, Oils, & Grease Management
The sole purpose of the Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Management Program is to minimize the amount of FOG laden wastewater that is discharged to the City of Mt. Juliet’s wastewater collection systems by commercial FOG generating establishments. Management of FOG is essential to protect the public health and environment by ensuring that the wastewater collection and treatment systems are operated efficiently and effectively.
The City of Mt. Juliet’s Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Management Program is based on Municode Chapter 30.
What is FOG?
FOG is Fats, Oils and Grease that is generated in restaurants and in your home as a by-product of handling and preparing food for consumption. To find out where FOG comes from and why FOG is a problem, please see FAQs for more information.
FOG Do’s and Don’ts for Business & Residential
Best Management Practices (BMP) are actions that you can take to not only help us reduce and minimize the amount of FOG discharged to the wastewater collection and treatment systems, but also help us eliminate disposable wipes, too. We have listed some of these BMPs:
- Dispose of all wipe products (baby, flushable, shop towels, etc.) with solid waste.
- Scrape or dry wipe all pots, pans and dishes before washing.
- Post “No Grease” signs above sinks.
- Use drain screens to keep food particles and other foreign debris out of the drains.
- Recycle excess grease and oil; use the grease recycling bin, not sinks or toilets.
- Mix excess oil with an oil absorbent material such as cat litter and dispose of with solid waste
- Never flush disposable wipes (baby, flushable, shop towels, etc.) down toilets, even if they are marketed as “flushable”.
- Never pour oil or grease down any drain such as floor drains, sinks or toilets.
- Avoid flushing food particles including coffee grounds, dairy products and sugar down drains.
- Never dump oil or grease on the ground or in a storm drain. Remember only rain in the drain.
- Don’t use or discontinue use of food grinders / garbage disposals in your home. Food grinders / garbage disposals are prohibited for use in commercial establishments.