Our Volunteer Program
Volunteer Program Overview
The Fire Department of Mt. Juliet is a “combination” fire department. As such, we employee fulltime firefighters and maintain an active force of volunteer firefighters. Both groups are absolutely essential to our operations. Our fulltime firefighters staff our engine companies and handle the majority of the daily calls for service, conduct pre-fire planning, lead publication education programs, and maintain our apparatus and facilities. Our volunteer firefighters staff our ladder trucks, supplement career staffing on our engine companies, staff apparatus during periods of high call volume, and most importantly, provide critical manpower at structure fires and other large incidents.
Our volunteer firefighters come from all walks of life. Many of our volunteer members serve as career firefighters and fire officers in the Nashville area. Others are starting out in the fire service and are seeking fulltime fire department employment. And finally, many have are established in other professions and give back to their community by serving as volunteer firefighters. Members of this third group include a fulltime youth pastor, employees of county and state government, an ICU Nurse Manager, and many other fields.
Benefits of being an FDMJ Volunteer Firefighter
1. Provide essential services to one of the fastest growing cities in Tennessee.
2. Turnout Gear
3. Annual Uniform Allowance
4. Free in-house and external training
5. Free opportunities to attend state and national training conferences
6. Free Tennessee firefighter certification
7. Hiring preference for future full-time openings at FDMJ
8. Be an integral part of building one of Tennessee’s newest fire departments.
9. Fill fulltime staff vacancies as they arise, which provides valuable experience for those seeking fulltime fire service employment.
Requirements to be an FDMJ Volunteer Firefighter
1. 18 years of age (must be 21 to drive fire apparatus and to be hired full-time at FDMJ)
2. High school graduate
3. Valid Tennessee Driver’s License
4. Pass pre-employment Physical Agility Test
5. Pass pre-employment Medical Exam and Drug Screening
6. Pass a panel style interview
7. Pass a Criminal Background Investigation
8. Live within five miles of Mt. Juliet’s Urban Growth Boundary
Requirements to maintain membership as an FDMJ Volunteer Firefighter
1. Attend scheduled monthly training
2. Respond to structure fires and other requests for manpower when available
3. Assist with maintaining assigned apparatus
4. Pass annual Physical Agility Exam.
5. Pass annual driving record and criminal background review.
6. Maintain residency requirement.
For additional information:
Contact Assistant Chief Donovan at: