Our Volunteer Program
Volunteer Program Overview
The Fire Department of Mt. Juliet is a combination fire department. As such, we employ full-time firefighters and maintain an active force of volunteer firefighters; both groups are essential to our operations. Our fulltime firefighters staff our engine companies and handle the majority of the daily calls for service, conduct pre-fire planning, lead public education programs, and maintain our apparatus and facilities. Our volunteer firefighters staff our ladder trucks, supplement career staffing on our engine companies, staff apparatus during periods of high call volume, and most importantly, provide critical manpower at structure fires and other large incidents.
Our volunteer firefighters come from all walks of life with many of our volunteer members serving as career firefighters in the Nashville area. Others are just starting out in the fire service and are seeking full-time fire department employment. And finally, many have are established in other professions and give back to their community by serving as volunteer firefighters.
Benefits of being an FDMJ Volunteer Firefighter
- Provide essential services to one of the fastest growing cities in Tennessee.
- Turnout Gear
- Annual Uniform Allowance
- Training opportunities that are both in-house and external
- Hiring preference for future full-time openings at FDMJ
- Be an integral part of one of Tennessee’s newest fire departments.
- Fill full-time staff vacancies as they arise, which provides valuable experience for those seeking full-time fire service employment.
Requirements to be an FDMJ Volunteer Firefighter
- 18 years of age (must be 21 to drive fire apparatus)
- High school graduate
- Valid Tennessee Driver’s License
- Pass pre-employment Physical Agility Test
- Pass pre-employment Medical Exam and Drug Screening
- Pass a panel style interview
- Pass a Criminal Background Investigation
- Live within five miles of Mt. Juliet’s Urban Growth Boundary
Requirements to maintain membership as an FDMJ Volunteer Firefighter
- Attend scheduled monthly training
- Respond to structure fires and other requests for manpower when available
- Assist with maintaining assigned apparatus
- Pass annual Physical Agility Exam.
- Pass annual driving record and criminal background review.
- Maintain residency requirement.